Sunday, December 09, 2007

Constant inconstants

Leviathans, 2007, mixed media

For the last six months, I’ve been more or less living in my childhood home, helping to take care of my Dad, who had a stroke early this summer. I imagined that, with the flood of impressions and associations, I would be writing about it all along. But I suppose the current has been too strong.

It also helps if you have time set aside to write. These days, my leisure time, such as it is, is reserved for art making, and it seems to be difficult to fold in writing as well.

In the absence of a press, I’ve been experimenting with pastels and oils. So soft and sloppy and malleable! A nice counterbalance to the past couple years of careful etching. This is the most satisfying part of my life right now, as true when in Oregon as when I’m camping out in California. I don’t shift gears easily, and it’s reassuring to have a constant of some kind.

It’s good to spend as much time as possible just a little outside your comfort zone. I believe that, and yet, it’s so… uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps though, the more you do it, the less uncomfortable it can be...? I like this post, I do think you should make more time for writing, even if it is like notes for things you can fill in later, otherwise you will forget the majority of the everyday happenings and how you feel about them. Just my thoughts on the matter, I also really enjoy the art you are working on.