Monday, March 17, 2008

The container, or the thing contained?

In February, Matt Coolidge, of the Center for Land Use Interpretation, spoke before a reasonably packed house as part of PICA’s free Monday night arts lecture series. Coolidge’s organization, known as CLUI, is “dedicated to the increase and diffusion of information about how the nation’s lands are apportioned, utilized and perceived.”

Don’t be misled, however: CLUI is not a policy wonkery; it’s a loose collection of post-modernists inhabiting that peculiar DMZ between art making and curating. They maintain a searchable database of unique American places; design and install interpretive exhibits across the country —including the recent “Pavement Paradise: American Parking Spaces”; conduct bus tours of unlikely locations (such as the assortment of gravel pits which created Irwindale, CA); offer art residencies in such facilities as the (alleged) Enola Gay hangar; and carefully monitor water levels at Robert Smithson’s Spiral Jetty in the Great Salt Lake.

CLUI’s stance toward its subject matter is consistently wry, clever, and non-prescriptive, asking the viewer to experiment with unfamiliar viewpoints. Coolidge opens his talk with a still shot of two men in an unrecognizable terrain, standing before an interpretive display whose message is invisible to the audience. One man gestures toward the display, as if to interpret its interpretation, and the other films him, adding yet another layer of interpretation —which is then re-interpreted by Coolidge for his audience, each member of which harbors his or her own interpretation.

As Coolidge explains, the landscape has no meaning except whatever meaning is perceived or assigned by the observer. And each individual’s experience of a given landscape is mediated by unique expectations, experiences, cultural precepts and personal beliefs.

CLUI encourages thought-provoking exercises, and yet —is it thought which we most need to provoke? In this post-modern world where so many of us have lost our species-long identification with our physical surroundings, can reconnection be brought about solely through intellectual means? Is it not the heart rather than the head, which we long to engage, and might not a more visceral language of art serve us better?

CLUI’s work also begs the question: With what meaning is the landscape invested by its residents who are not human? I look out on “my yard,” but how do the local squirrels see it? As their hazelnut warehouse? The migratory songbirds, as an overgrown haven from predators? What meaning rises from the billions and billions of microorganisms which are, by immense orders of magnitude, the most numerous life forms on earth?



My father, when hospitalized, becomes disoriented and experiences delusions. The phenomenon is known as hospital-induced psychosis. It’s common in elderly patients but can occur in anyone deprived of familiar environmental cues; symptoms moderate with the presence of friends and family, and generally fade when patients return home.

In the hospital, of course, meals are often unrecognizable; nursing staff appear and disappear with shift changes; lights may be on all night and off all day. On Dad’s last visit he lost the ability to make sense out of the large clock on the opposite wall, but was perfectly capable of operating the telephone in his room. He called us at home at midnight wanting to know where the hell breakfast was, and again at 4a.m. to inform us he was ready to go home, and demanded to know why nothing was being done about it. The following morning he became convinced that hospital security was preventing his children from visiting him, so he called the police department.

I can’t say I blame him. Disoriented he might have been, but he knew he wasn’t where he was supposed to be. Every time I return home from a couple months caring for Dad in California, I experience a baffling period of “re-entry” which is surely similar in origin. There it is again when I’ve left home and returned to California: I’ve had just enough time to grow accustomed to a different repertoire of environmental cues.

Some years ago I was hospitalized myself for a medication reaction. Exhaustion and dehydration took their toll: often my eyes wouldn’t focus; nasal passages suffered such that I couldn’t smell at all, or taste my food, or hear well; my fingertips were so dessicated I couldn’t feel texture. In short, all five senses were impaired. Even back at home, without the usual sensory data, it was difficult to muster much interest in life.

Perhaps life in hospital or held hostage or in solitary confinement is traumatizing not only because familiar human contacts are missing, but also due to the of absence a rich externality. We require tangible sensation, complex energy, moving between us and what we think of as “environment”; without this it is difficult to be clear about who we are. In some sense, the landscape supplies us with meaning.

1 comment:

Alissa said...

A few weeks ago Jake and I rented a car and drove to the Outer Banks. Returning home we took back the car and switched to our own. Driving to school one morning I found the gas tank empty and stopped for gas. Jake usually does this so I only put in a few gallons (he is the main gas user and therefore should pay for it himself). I got back into the car and was baffled to find the gas meter had not moved at all. Was I looking at the price and not the gallon window!!?? Pretty sure I was right, I drove off to school still baffled by the gauge. Telling my roommate about it on the drive home she looked over and said, you're fine, you have half a tank. No I don't I responded. She looked at me in that way she likes to do like I am devoid of brain cells, and points saying....this is your gas meter and that is your heating meter. Feeling quite stupid I wondered how I could have gotten those two things confused. Much later in the night I realized that the position of the heating meter and gas tank were switched on the rental car, and that I had been looking at the gas tank where it had been on that other car. It was very strange. A few days of habit had tricked my eyes, or brain rather, into thinking something was where it wasn't.

I think your question of how animals see landscape is very interesting, something I wold not have thought of. It also makes me wonder, however, about how different humans see landscape. There is a huge range of the purpose for land people see and engage in, that I find quite interesting. I am writing about this in my thesis right now, perhaps I will post this section so you can give me your thoughts. Many of my "documentations" deal with how people inhabit places, and how they then use their designated "spaces".

I have also been reading a pretty interesting book about all of this, you might have heard of it before, it was written in the late 1990's called The Lure of the Local and it talks a lot about landscape and almost every aspect of how it has been used. Lippard takes "normal" habits such as naming, fencing, etc. and talks about how those actions shape our perceptions of the use of land. While I am not much in tune with her notions of the "local" it has been very enlightening in many ways.