Thursday, January 18, 2007

In medium dudgeon

Why is it, Miss Manners wonders, that when one is so thoughtful as to include on one's own blog a list of links belonging to one's friends and family, that this consideration is so often both unappreciated and unreturned? Hmm?

Has the concept of reciprocity been entirely devoured by some barbarian meme? She wonders if it has, perhaps, gone the way of handwritten thank-you notes and tasteful hostess gifts. If this is what passes for civilization these days then, frankly, Miss Manners would prefer a grass hut amongst the indigenous on a remote tropical shore.

Sincerely, Miss Manners
(devotely hoping a gentle hint will suffice)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I am linked to you, and always have been, I think you should comment more on my blog. Yes?

JCD said...

Lissy: No. It is as just as right and proper to maintain silence.

occassia said...

Yes, but it is so gratifying to be commented upon! I have actually been mulling Lissy's comments re: California, but am afraid the comment would be so long I'm unwilling to tackle it.

Alissa said...

Tackle it, tackle it. . .

Tom Warren said...

I yam constructing a pornigraphikal Pyrate blog and figgered ya would opt offa it, but if ya WANNA be linked ....

occassia said...

Miss Manners wishes to point out that, as she construes the proposed, er, "Pyrate" blog to be something to be enjoyed strictly in the privacy of one's own brown paper bag, she is unlikely to include a link thereto. Thus, no question of reciprocity arises, and she must decline your gracious and flattering invitation.

You kids have fun.

Unknown said...

I don't have much control over the links on my web site. Someone I know is supposed to be redo'ing it and controls both the vertical and the horizontal. Being that it's a business site and not a blog, it might be more appropriate if she were to include some secret rollover trapdoor or somesuch. Just a thought.

But you raise an interesting question vis a vis manners in this age of new tech. Is it incumbent on one's friends to read one's blog or be considered lacking in 'manners'?

occassia said...

Goodness no. A commercial site must be geared to its audience, and there's no knowing what may happen on a blog to offend said audience. Shudder.

In truth, it's probably a losing battle to attempt to establish "real" etiquette on the internet. Friends always appreciate it when you visit their blog and say nice things. But I suppose it's equally incumbent on said friends to put things on their blogs that interest you.

:-)